Tuesday 13 October 2015

Vegan Food in Toronto : Notebook Entry Two

Back in August, my boyfriend and I went on a weekend trip to Toronto. We explored the sights and went apartment hunting for his move to the city.

wish restaurant
During my short stay, I was thrilled to have the opportunity to explore some vegan restaurants in the area. Discovering new food is truly one of the most exciting parts about eating a plant-based diet. When people find out that I’m vegan, I’m often asked about the food I can eat since people tend to perceive veganism as a restrictive diet, which it is in a sense, but not in it’s true nature. If you take a moment to think about your diet, there is most likely a vegan alternative for your favourite dishes. A vegan diet does not primarily consist of salad and tofu.

At times, finding vegan food can be a struggle, especially in restaurants. Most places I've been to have very limited vegan options and I’m left ordering a plain salad with a side order of french fries. Of course, there is nothing wrong with eating salad and french fries, but if I choose to go out to eat, I would rather have something a little more self-indulgent. That being said, when I do see vegan options on a menu or have the opportunity to eat at vegan restaurants, I definitely carpe diem and try as many things as possible.



During our stay in Toronto, we had the immense pleasure of eating at two remarkable restaurants: Wish and Live Organic Market. We had such a lovely time at both places, the décor and ambience adding to the positive experience. And lets not forget the delicious food!

My boyfriend is not vegan and doesn’t particularly enjoy vegan or vegetarian dishes. Luckily for both of us, Wish had vegan options, after substitutions, as well as meat dishes so we were both able to benefit from the mouth-watering cuisine.



veggie burger at wish restaurant 
soup at live organic market 





On the other hand, Live Organic Market is a vegan restaurant. The gorgeous back patio is full of life; flowers and plants surround you, creating a serene environment with all the beautiful colours and smells. 

We enjoyed a peaceful afternoon sipping on delicious soup and enjoying each other’s company. My boyfriend loved his meal and was pleasantly surprised that he was able to get such a hearty vegan dish. 


























On our final day in Toronto, we decided to pick up pizzas and head to the boardwalk to enjoy the beautiful summer weather. Another great discovery was Pizza Nova. Who would of thought that a popular pizza chain would have the option to substitute for vegan cheese? It just goes to show how veganism is becoming more prominent in our society and businesses are becoming increasingly aware of the need for vegan options in order to cater to their customers.


I’m eagerly awaiting my next Toronto visit in order to continue discovering delicious vegan food…oh and to visit my boyfriend as well.

Talk soon,


Janelle xx

No comments:

Post a Comment