Mac and Cheese has taken a twist! Modify the traditional creamy sauce with avocado. Still provides the creamy texture but uses a healthier alternative which adds more nutrients to the dish. This leaves the dish tasting fresh, creamy and cheesy! Recipe was adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod.
First, you'll start off by blending together half of a large ripe avocado, one clove of minced garlic and one teaspoon of fresh lime juice. Once well blended, set aside.
Heat up a saucepan on medium heat and melt two teaspoons of light margarine. Add one tablespoon of whole wheat flour all mix together to form a paste. Next, whisk in a quarter cup of unsweetened almond milk. Once well combined, with a spoon, mix in three quarter cups of shredded light cheddar cheese. Add an eighth teaspoon of nutmeg, sea salt and pepper to taste. Mix until smooth and remove from heat.
To cheese sauce, add avocado sauce and mix until smooth. Pour over two cups of cooked whole wheat egg white noodles and top off with one crumbled slice of turkey bacon. Serve and enjoy!
Skinny Avocado Mac & Cheese
Makes 2 servings
Recipe adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod
1/2 Large ripe avocado,
1 Clove garlic, minced
1 tsp Fresh lime juice
2 tsp Light margarine or butter
1 tbsp Whole wheat all purpose flour
1/4 cup Unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cups Light cheddar cheese, shredded
1/8 tsp Ground nutmeg
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 cups Whole wheat egg white noodles, cooked
1 Slice turkey bacon, chopped
- In a blender, mix together avocado, garlic and lime juice. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- In a saucepan, at medium heat, melt margarine. Once melted, add flour and mix until it becomes a paste.
- Once mixed together, whisk in almond milk. Whisk until well blended, then, with a spoon, mix in cheddar cheese. Add nutmeg, sea salt and pepper.
- Remove cheese sauce from heat. Mix in avocado sauce.
- Mix sauce with pasta and top with bacon. Serve.
Makes 2 servings. Each serving is approximately 385 calories.