This is our first vegan Christmas and we are so excited to veganize our traditional holidays meals and appetizers.
Wonton hors d'oeuvres, most commonly known as sausage stars, are one of our holiday staples. We wanted to try to recreate this recipe, while staying true to the classic flavours.
Start by making the wonton wrappers. The ones I usually would buy at the store have egg in them, therefore I found a vegan friendly option on Food.com. Combine one cup of flour with a quarter teaspoon of salt. Gradually add in a quarter cup of warm water. Knead the dough until uniform and smooth. The dough will be very dense and it might take upwards of 15 minutes to knead it. Cover the dough with a tea towel and set aside for 20 minutes.
Roll out the dough on a flat surface. I did not need any extra flour since the dough was not sticky. You can either use a rolling pin or a pasta machine to do this step. You will need to roll the dough out as thin as possible. This will take both arm strength and time. It took me about 25 minutes to roll it out and my arms were definitely sore afterwards.
Cut your dough into 3 inch circles or squares. I used a cup to mark out the dimensions on the dough and cut them out using a knife. You should be able to make 12 wrappers.
Next, place your wonton wrappers in a cupcake tin and bake at 350oF for approximately 8 minute, until they are crisp. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
While the wrappers are cooking, you can start preparing the filling. I used Yves italian veggie ground as the meat substitute. In a bowl, combine a third of a 340g pack of Yves italian veggie ground, a quarter of a diced red and yellow pepper, two chopped green onions, a quarter cup of vegan mayonnaise, one minced garlic clove and a quarter teaspoon of garlic powder. Mix until the ingredients are well coated with the mayo.
Spoon the mixture into the wrappers. Now, you can either cook them straight away or set them aside for later.
If you wish to eat them straight away, pop in the oven for 3-5 minutes to allow the sausage stars to heat up. If you wish to eat the later, store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. Warm up in the oven for about 8 minutes.
Vegan Sausage Stars
Makes 12 stars
Wonton wrapper recipe from Food.com
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup warm water
1/3 of 340g pack of Yves Italian Veggie Ground Round
1/4 yellow pepper, diced
1/4 red pepper, diced
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- Mix flour in salt in a large bowl.
- Slowly add in warm water, the dough will be dense. Knead for 10 to 15 minutes until uniform and smooth. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Roll dough out with a rolling pin, as thin as possible. You might want to use a pasta machine, if available. The rolling process will take a while and will require physical strength.
- Cut dough in 12 circles, around 3 inches in diameter.
- Place in a cupcake tray and bake for approximately 8 minutes, until crisp.
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix until uniform. Spoon the mixture in each of the wonton wrappers.
- Cook in the oven for 3-5 minutes until warm. You can store in the fridge or freeze, uncooked and pop them in the oven when you wish to eat them.