Last year, I visited my friends in Toronto and we had a homemade sushi night. It was my first time making sushi and I was shocked by the simplicity of the process. You can customize the filling to your preference, making it easy to please everyone. At first glance it may look difficult, but trust me when I say you need to try it for yourself.
Homemade Vegan Sushi
makes 3 sushi rolls
1 cup sticky rice (sushi rice)
1 tbsp rice vinegar
3 sheets of nori
¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
1 tbsp sriracha
¼ cup thin carrot sticks
¼ thin cucumber sticks
½ sliced avocado
- Cook rice according to directions on the package. Once cooked, stir in rice vinegar and let rice cool completely.
- Place the nori sheet on a bamboo sushi mat. Spread a thin layer of cooled rice on the nori, leaving ¼ inch rim on each side.
- Mix mayonnaise and Sriracha in a bowl. Spread a line of sauce at the top of your nori.
- Place carrots, cucumbers and avocado slices in a line on top of the mayo.
- Using the bamboo mat, slowly roll your sushi roll until tightly closed.
- Cut into 1 inch thick pieces and serve with spicy mayo and soy sauce.